08 March 2010

DN Column February 3, 2010: Columnist Faces, Conquers Initial Shock in Spain

Editor’s note: Daily Nebraskan columnist Sarah Melecki is studying abroad in Seville, Spain for the semester. This semester she’ll be publishing a monthly travelogue for the Daily Nebraskan. This is her first column and an introduction to the travelogue. Enjoy!

I took a leap and moved to Spain for four months. I don’t know Spanish. So far, I can say “hola” and a few other simple phrases, but don’t ask me to read a sign to you. I’ll give you the same look of confusion that I give Spaniards who try to speak to me. I usually just end up saying, “Lo siento, no hable Español” or something to that effect.

Apparently it’s pretty easy to pick out americanos over here. One of my friends’ professors told her that we all wear North Face or Columbia fleece jackets, and none of us wear socks with our flats even though its winter. As she told me this, I was bundled in my red Columbia fleece wearing black flats with no socks. I might as well tattoo my nationality to my forehead.

I came prepared for cultural differences. I was ready for different foods, but I’m a picky eater so I was nervous. My host mother is an amazing cook, so it hasn’t been too much of an issue. She is from Peru, and cooks more Peruvian dishes than Spanish dishes, but so far there really hasn’t been anything I didn’t enjoy. It took a few days to get used to eating lunch at 2 pm and dinner at 8 pm (sometimes later). It’s also considered rude to leave food on your plate in Spain, which has been difficult for me because I’m used to eating many smaller meals throughout the day. Luckily, I live with 11 other students, two of whom function fairly well as garbage disposals. I usually just give them my leftovers and they take care of it.

People bike a lot more over here than they do in the United States. It’s much easier to bike here, because Spaniards actually know how to create and use bike lanes. Instead of making them in the middle of major streets like the city of Lincoln decided to do, the city of Seville has made numerous bike lanes on their extra wide sidewalks. Does this make more sense? Of course.

It’s no secret that Europeans are, in general, healthier than Americans. However, this doesn’t deter the Spanish from making the best pastries I’ve ever eaten. The people here walk quite a bit more than those in the U.S. and seem to enjoy physical activity more in general, making it more of a social activity. Kids play soccer on the street and no one minds. The tennis courts are almost always full. Most people don’t just crowd into a gym, grab an elliptical machine, and turn their iPod on. At this rate, I’m going to be able to eat more desserts and come back to the States weighing less than when I left.

I’m in love with Spain. But that doesn’t mean I don’t miss some things about the U.S., or that there are some things about Spain I would change if I could. I miss the heat in the U.S. The apartment I live in is constantly cold, because it’s January and even though it’s in the mid to high 50’s Fahrenheit outside, the building isn’t insulated too well and I’m pretty sure there’s no heating system. Instead, we crowd around our space heaters.

I also miss the dollar. The Euro is expensive! Every time I go to buy something, I multiply its price by one and a half to get a general idea of how much it costs in American dollars. The exchange rate fluctuates constantly, but it seems to usually be somewhere around one and a half American dollars to every one Euro. Even this past month, when all of the traditional January sales were going on in Spain, I was paying the equivalent of full price in the United States for clothes and things. And don’t even get me started on how expensive ice cream is! I still buy it, because I’m addicted, but it’s quickly depleting my bank account.

Spaniards are very nice people for the most part. But it took me a couple of days to get used to how close they get to strangers – I was a little uncomfortable at first. Also, at restaurants you have to be aggressive in order to get the waiter or waitress to serve you. They don’t constantly check up on you. Apparently in Spain, it is seen as offensive to interrupt like that, and so they allow you to take your time and motion them when you are ready for them.

A lot of Spanish men seem extremely interested in American women. Most Spanish women aren’t as interested in American men. On one hand, I find this humorous. On the other hand, it is a little creepy when you are in a bar or café and a man literally stares at you for 10 to 15 minutes straight. Luckily for me, I’ve only had this experience twice thus far. Because I was with friends both times, they saved me after only a few minutes of awkwardly close conversation.

I’ve only been here for two weeks. I have at least 16 to go. Don’t be surprised if my impressions of this country and its people change with time – I won’t be. All I can say for sure right now is that this is a beautiful country with a beautiful culture, and I’m excited to experience it.

Sarah Melecki is a senior political science major. Reach her at sarahmelecki@dailynebraskan.com